Hello in Hungarian
After you have lived in Budapest for awhile, you realize there are only a few recognizable words for a foreigner. One of these words is “Hello”.
You will hear “hello” when you leave a store. You will hear students and teenagers say “hello” or “hello hello” as they hang up their cell phones or part each other’s company. What is going on?
Hungarians have adopted the word “hello: as “goodbye”. Or perhaps, a better translation is the universal :ciao”. English translation: Ciao means both hello and good bye .
I get a kick out of it whenever I am honored with “hello” when I depart. It means that they think I speak Hungarian!
Hello.

2 Comments:
I've missed your blog! Your food post reminded me of the summer I spent in Czechoslovakia. I was a vegetarian before leaving but had no choice but to eat meat when I got there. And pork fat smeared on bread instead of butter. Guam has a fairly good selection of food, but no good cheeses or olive oils or vinegars. My mom is packing a suitcase full of goodies from N. California.
1/30/2007 03:08:00 PM
I loved the whole hello thing. I considered trying to get the trend started here, but I opted for not. People here would never get it.
3/13/2007 04:03:00 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home