Travelblog Europe

Friday, March 10, 2006

Has it only really been a week?

First three days of this week were sunny and clear. It is indeed a magical city.

International Women’s Day: A day that used to/ and still is celebrated in HU. Kids used to have it off. Coming from Berkeley, doesn’t sound unusual as we also had the day off. However, here, men give women flowers.

CEU- attended a lecture at the Central European University, across the street from work. Loads of international students speaking English…reminded me of my time in A’dam. There were even some Ethiopians!

Central Kavehaz – central coffeehouse.
One of the oldest in the city. Had real Hungarian food- palanczintat…or something like that. Essentially, a crepe that can either be sweet or savory. In my case, it had beef and sour cream and most importantly, a paprika sauce. Quite nice… |the meal was rounded off with cappuccino.

Pagocsa….a breaded pastry that can also be sweet or savory. I have had two with cheese. Very yummy. Obviously, pure carbohydrates…where is the fruit?? Well, there is a great market here. I plan to go there, but as an obvious foreigner with no language capabilities, I ve been told, I will certainly be overcharged. Might be worth it in the beginning.


Update on language…I have been learning one word a day. My colleagues have been wonderful in assisting me in this endeavor. Word of the day…alma = apple. The ‘a’ pronounced similar to an “o”.

Off to a new land next week…Serbia…

2 Comments:

Blogger Bicyclemark said...

ooh Serbia.. see if you see any journalists and then be one of those people standing in the background waving hello.

3/15/2006 03:08:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How was Serbia? Liam and I love reading your blog.

3/22/2006 02:11:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home