Travelblog Europe

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Heya Folks! Its 2007 and I’m finally back online and will do my best to update this blog. I was on hiatus during the Fall 2006, but with a new computer, Internet access, I have joined the 21st Century again! All I need is more time now…

Well, where to begin. The fall was full of travel as well as visits from friends and family. I made my first visit to Romania and Transylvania. I learned that a lot of Transylvania once belonged to Hungary, thus the reason for large Hungarian-speaking minority. It is a beautiful countryside and will no doubt see an increase in tourism now that Romania is part of the European Union.

Here in Hungary, there were a number of political protests and demonstrations. The Prime Minister admitted to lying and stating publicly he thought the country was in deep do-do. The 50th anniversary of 1956 revolution also brought on new demonstrations and the frustrations of many are beginning to show after what was “a smooth transition to capitalism 16 years ago.” Similar disaffected political grumblings are occurring in other Central European countries: Poland, Slovakia, and Czech Republic. Interesting times to be an expat in these parts.

BACK TO CALI
I did return to the US for the first time in 10 months. The first thing I noticed was that I could finally understand people around me. It was amazing…I could join in their conversations, joke around, and was not viewed as a foreigner. It was a nice reprieve. The second observation was that the US has everything!! Well, at least, Northern California is spoiled. All foods, books, entertainment, gadgets that one could want, were available. Speaking of food, organic, Asian, Mexican, Thai, Persian…all variety exists in California. This was what I missed…in Hungary, well, Budapest, some of things items are available, but to a limited degree. And one has to search high and low for them and the store then is only open 9-11 am on Saturday! Therefore, in Hungary, one’s diet can only really consist of paprika, paprika, cabbage, and loads of poultry and pork. Not the country for the organic, vegan, lactaid-intolerable Californian. Perhaps a true New Yorker could survive here…
However, it was absolutely wonderful to be back in Cali for a brief second!

I’m now back in BP, chilling until my travel schedule picks up again in February—England, Serbia, Romania and perhaps a brief stint to a non-European country---Thailand!! Finally…Ill be able to have one of my favorite foods, which does not exist here in Euro-land---Thai food!

Peace and Health and Happiness to all for 2007!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're back online! We've been waiting for this. It was great getting to see you. You know we all missed you lots. Keep smiling at strangers. :)

1/27/2007 10:54:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home